Absentee property-owners must prepare for fire or flood

Metropolitan residents who own rural property in the Latrobe city are being urged to arrange a contractor to prepare for the risk of fire and flood. Here are some FAQ:

Can I visit my property in Latrobe City to attend to fire and flood prevention works?

No, due to the current coronavirus restrictions, metropolitan residents are not able to attend their properties for maintenance purposes unless they receive a Fire Prevention Notice from Latrobe City Council.

Can I request a Fire Prevention Notice from Council so I can attend my property?

No, Council Officers will be undertaking inspections and issuing notices from mid-November at the commencement of the Fire season. Only people whose properties requiring fire prevention works will be issued with a Fire Prevention Notice.

What happens once I receive a Fire Prevention Notice?

Once a Fire Prevention Notice has been received, property owners will have 4 weeks to arrange for works to be completed or may seek an extension of time by contacting Council’s Customer Focus team by telephone 1300 367 700.

What can I do now to ensure my property is not posing a fire or flood risk?

People concerned about their property can ask a neighbour to check on it or contact a contractor in Latrobe City to undertake any required works.

Contractors available to undertake fire and flood preparation works in Latrobe City are:

  • AA Weed Control Services, all areas,
/Public Release. View in full here.