The 2022 winners of the Australia Day Awards have been presented at the official ceremony at the Goulburn Historic Waterworks on January 26th.
Heather West was named Goulburn Mulwaree’s Citizen of the Year for 2022. Heather is President and coordinator of the Friends of Goulburn Wetlands (FROGS), a volunteer and coordinator of restoration of historic cemeteries, a member of Goulburn Historical Society and also a committee member of Galleries on Track. She is also a member of the Goulburn Show Society, volunteers for many other groups and is involved in writing numerous books on Goulburn’s history.
Anabarasan Mitchell was awarded Goulburn Mulwaree’s Young Citizen of the Year Award for 2022. Anabarasan has been recognized for his generous fundraising efforts, musical talents and high achievements in the sport of Golf. He also gives his time as a member of the Trinity College Youth Ministry, and is a keen musician.
The Goulburn AP & H Society Show was awarded Goulburn Mulwaree’s Community Event of the Year Award for 2022. Following the COVID restrictions of 2020, the Goulburn Show committee chose to plan for a full show in March 2021, despite the cloud of lockdowns hanging over the event. The Show Committee rose to the challenge and staged a safe and enjoyable 3-Day Show for the Goulburn Community. It was one of the only full size country shows held in NSW in 2021.
Goulburn Mulwaree council and the Australia Day Committee would also like to recognise other nominees for these awards in 2022:
Citizen of the Year for 2022;
- Gary Worboys: for his work in service for the Police Force over a number of decades at a high level, and as a volunteer in the Goulburn community with a number of sporting organisations.
- Sylvana Aliffi; for thirty years of volunteering, most notably in events raising money for Cystic Fibrosis Goulburn & District
- Irene Turner; for her volunteer work in the Windellama area, as part of a number of organisations, particularly the spinners and weavers group and Windellama Progress Association
- Geoffery Shepherd; for twenty years of service for the Goulburn Rugby Union Football Club, for which he has been inducted as a life member.
- Ian Radford; for his service over 40 years with Rotary, in particular his dedication to Youth Road Safety in this region
- Maggie Paterson; for her tireless work in support of Timor Leste, and the establishment of Goulburn’s Community Refugee Sponsorship Group
Event of the Year for 2022;
- Convoy for Kids Mystery drive; for hosting a COVID safe event under difficult conditions, giving the community something to look forward to, and raising over $30,000
- 2580 Business Awards; for their efforts in pulling off an online event to recognise and celebrate local businesses during an incredibly difficult year.