Death of Ausgrid linesman during routine maintenance work

An Ausgrid linesman has died in hospital today after being electrocuted while undertaking routine maintenance work in Sydney overnight.

The 39-year-old man, who was a member of the Electrical Trades Union, was part of a crew from Ausgrid’s Gore Hill depot who were working on the replacement of a low voltage power pole in Lane Cove when the incident occurred.
ETU Secretary Justin Page said the union was offering its full support to the worker’s family and colleagues.
“Our thoughts are with his family, friends, and colleagues at this tragic time,” Mr Page said.
“We will be providing whatever practical support we can to assist the family as they deal with the devastating loss of a loved one, along with the emotional and financial hardships that inevitably follow.
“While the union will be working closely with Ausgrid and safety regulators to better understand the cause of this fatality, it is not appropriate to speculate on the cause of the incident today.
“The most important action right now is for this worker’s family, friends and colleagues to receive the support they need.
“Once the cause of the accident is known we will strongly advocate for appropriate improvements to safety standards and be vigilant to ensure Ausgrid and other electricity distributors put in place those measures to prevent a repeat of this tragedy.”
/Public Release.