Drug trafficker forced to Lego of toy collection

A man has had to Lego of his prized toy collection yesterday after police seized more than $600,000 worth of 1,4-Butanediol- a chemical that mirrors the drug GHB when ingested.

Police from Fawkner’s Divisional Response Unit – who have been building a case for more than four months – executed five simultaneous search warrants in Morwell, Essendon North, Brunswick and South Melbourne (x2).

They arrested a 45-year-old man in Morwell.

During the searches police, brick by brick, located and seized:

• 180kg of 1,4-Butanediol worth approximately $600,000

• 34kg of Iodine – a precursor to methylamphetamine

• 32kg of Hypophosphorus Acid – a precursor to methylamphetamine

• Illegal steroids

• Methylamphetamine

• A handgun

• An extendable baton

• Ammunition

• Three digital devices

Mixed with other ingredients, that amount of Iodine and Hypophosphorus Acid has the potential to make around 20kg of methylamphetamine or around $2 million worth.

While piecing the case together yesterday police also uncovered 74 boxes of Lego, one Rolex watch and four Breitling watches.

Investigators will allege these products are the proceeds of crime.

The Morwell man was in the afternoon charged with trafficking a large commercial quantity of a drug of dependence, three counts of committing an indictable offence on bail, two counts of deal with property suspected of being the proceeds of crime, prohibited person possessing a firearm, two counts of possessing a prescribed precursor chemical and trafficking methylamphetamine.

He was remanded overnight to appear before Latrobe Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

Quotes attributable to Fawkner Divisional Response Unit Detective Acting Sergeant Brad Hobbs:

“Often offenders import this drug as an industrial product then sell it at enormous profit but also with enormous community harm.

“Overwhelmingly what users believe is GHB is actually 1,4-Butanediol. The drug can be unpredictable and the difference between survival and a fatal overdose can be very small.

“There is absolutely no safe amount to ingest. That’s why we’re committed to removing it from unintended hands.”

/Public Release. View in full here.