Fire restrictions announced for remainder of South East

Member News imageFire restrictions announced for remainder of South East

The Fire Danger Period (FDP) will begin at 01.00am on Monday, December 18 for the remainder of CFA’s South East Region, including the following municipalities in District’s 8, 9 and 27.

  • Cardinia Shire Council
  • City of Casey
  • Bass Coast Shire Council
  • Frankston City Council
  • French Island
  • Greater Dandenong Council
  • City Kingston
  • Mornington Peninsula Shire
  • Baw Baw Shire Council
  • South Gippsland Shire Council
  • Latrobe City Council

The El Nino weather pattern means Victorians can expect a hotter and drier summer than recent years, and communities should begin preparing their properties and creating a Bushfire Survival Plan.

CFA Deputy Chief Officer South East Trevor Owen said “the abundance of grass fuels is the focus over the summer period. Fast moving grassfires with the higher available grassland fuels is a risk that we have been preparing for”.

“3 years of the La Nina weather event produced wet and milder conditions which has created an abundance of grass across much of Victoria. Grass around many communities has been increasing, particularly around farming property, roadsides, residences and other assets.

“Ensuring grass is properly maintained this summer will be critical. Continuing to mow, mulch and slash grass around your property to reduce the risk will protect properties and assist fire services in the event of a fast moving grassfire”.

While CFA’s 52,000 members are poised to respond and support communities this bushfire season, they’re urging people to use common sense and take responsibility for preventing fires.

Residents in the South East region are asked to take this opportunity ahead of the FDP to clean up their properties and for landowners to conduct safe private burn-offs where possible.

Those conducting burn-offs must notify authorities online at the Fire Permits Victoria website (, or by calling ESTA on 1800 668 511.

By registering your burn-off online, you allow emergency call takers to allocate more of their time taking calls from people who need emergency assistance immediately.

No burning off is permitted during the FDP without a Permit to Burn, which can be applied for through the Fire Permits Victoria website.

There are very strict conditions attached to these permits and the liability sits with the permit holder to ensure they always act safely.

Fire Danger Period information:

  • A written permit is required to burn off grass, undergrowth, weeds or other vegetation during the FDP. You can apply for a permit at It can also be issued by the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer or the CFA District Office.
  • Lighting fires in the open without a permit can bring a penalty of more than $21,800 and/or 12 months imprisonment. For a full list of conditions, visit
  • Farmers can find legal guidelines and practical advice at

/CFA News Release. View in full here.