Fire restrictions announced for South West

Member News imageFire restrictions announced for the South West

The Fire Danger Period (FDP) will begin at 01.00am on Monday, November 20 for CFA’s South West region, including the following municipalities in District’s 4, 5, 6 and 7.

  • Glenelg Shire Council
  • Moyne Shire
  • Southern Grampians Shire
  • Colac Otway Shire
  • Corangamite Shire
  • City of Greater Geelong
  • Borough of Queenscliffe
  • Surf Coast Shire
  • Golden Plains Shire

The El Nino weather pattern means Victorians can expect a hotter and drier summer than recent years, and communities should begin preparing their properties and creating a Bushfire Survival Plan.

CFA Deputy Chief Officer South West Adrian Gutsche said the Fire Danger Period was being introduced due to the drying conditions in the forest areas of South West Region.

“This includes all the areas associated with District 4, 5, 6 and 7,” he said.

“Communities may still see some green conditions across grassed areas however the underlying grass conditions are conducive to carrying fire. With the dryness of the forest, there is the risk that if fires start they will take hold in forested areas hence the implementation of the Fire Danger Period.”

While CFA’s 52,000 members are poised to respond and support communities this bushfire season, they’re urging people to use common sense and take responsibility for preventing fires.

Residents in the South West region are asked to take this opportunity ahead of the FDP to clean up their properties and for landowners to conduct safe private burn-offs where possible.

Those conducting burn-offs must notify authorities online at the Fire Permits Victoria website (, or by calling ESTA on 1800 668 511.

By registering your burn-off online, you allow emergency call takers to allocate more of their time taking calls from people who need emergency assistance immediately.

No burning off is permitted during the FDP without a Permit to Burn, which can be applied for through the Fire Permits Victoria website.

There are very strict conditions attached to these permits and the liability sits with the permit holder to ensure they always act safely.

Fire Danger Period information:

  • A written permit is required to burn off grass, undergrowth, weeds or other vegetation during the FDP. You can apply for a permit at It can also be issued by the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer or the CFA District Office.
  • Lighting fires in the open without a permit can bring a penalty of more than $21,800 and/or 12 months imprisonment. For a full list of conditions, visit
  • Farmers can find legal guidelines and practical advice at

/CFA News Release. View in full here.