Fire Restrictions To End Across State

Member News image

The Fire Danger Period (FDP) for the state will officially finish at 1.00am on Wednesday, 1 May for the final municipalities in CFA’s District 8, 9, and 27:

  • Cardinia Shire Council
  • City of Casey
  • Bass Coast Shire Council
  • Frankston City Council
  • French Island
  • Greater Dandenong Council
  • City of Kingston
  • Mornington Peninsula Shire Council
  • Baw Baw Shire Council
  • South Gippsland Shire Council
  • Latrobe City Council

While restrictions are set to lift in these areas, CFA Deputy Chief Officer South East Trevor Owen reminds landowners CFA permits are available to conduct burning off in line with local municipal regulations.

“Residents in these regions do have the opportunity to access a permit free of charge to conduct private property fuel reduction when fire restrictions apply,” Trevor said.

“It’s a fairly simple process through the Fire Permits Victoria website and notification to Triple Zero Victoria. It is important to check if any additional council fire regulations apply as these vary from municipality to municipality.

“As always, follow all conditions detailed in the permit and ensure an adult is in attendance at all times. It’s also important to monitor current and forecasted weather conditions and landowners should notify their neighbours.”

The recent rainfall has been fairly substantial in some areas, but fire restrictions need to be taken off when the risk in each municipal is deemed safe to do so.

“Some parts of the region have been quite dry and we’re also seeing pockets of dry vegetation from damaged trees that have been impacted by recent storms that will require clean up over several months,” Trevor said.

“We know these natural vegetation fuels can become quite dry even during the winter period and we are conscious of the developing fuel loads around those impacted areas.

“While there is still an element of risk, we will take an extra level of assurance to protect the community and I encourage residents to apply for the online permit should they need it.”

When the Fire Danger Period (FDP) ends on 1 May, all landowners will be able to burn off without a CFA permit, while mindful of any applicable municipal regulations.

You must still register your burn-offs, check weather conditions and follow local council laws, as well as EPA laws and applicable regulations.

“Registering your burn-off ensures that if smoke or fire is reported, the incident is cross-checked with our register, which prevents firefighters from unnecessarily responding and allows Triple Zero call takers to focus their efforts on emergency calls,” Trevor said.

“Please allow two hours for your burn-off to be visible online.”

Tips for looking after your health when there is smoke can be found on EPA’s website.

Keep your burn off safe and legal:

  • Check fire restrictions in your area and always register your burn at
  • Check and monitor weather conditions – particularly wind.
  • To avoid unnecessary calls to emergency services, notify your neighbours beforehand.
  • Leave a three-metre fire break, free from flammable materials around the burn.
  • Have sufficient equipment and water to stop the fire spreading.
  • Never leave a burn-off unattended – stay for its entire duration.
  • If your burn-off gets out of control, call ‘000’ immediately.
  • Tips for looking after your health when there is smoke can be found on EPA’s website.

/CFA News Release. View in full here.