The state government will be asked to support a Green New Deal for Victoria under a motion set to be introduced by the Greens this week and debated next month.
The motion notes that there are key challenges facing Victorians as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and calls on the government to create tens of thousands of good quality jobs by investing in:
- Publicly-owned renewable energy and storage projects to address climate change and transition Victoria away from fossil fuels
- A big build of new public housing homes to help end homelessness
- More jobs for educators, healthcare workers, nurses and social workers to all Victorians can get the care they need
- Restoring our environment by regenerating bushfire-affected areas and protecting threatened species
- Walking and cycling infrastructure and public transport to cut traffic and reduce emissions
- Our main shopping streets to support jobs in retail, hospitality and services
- A recycling revolution to reduce waste and protect our waterways and wildlife
This year has been extremely difficult for Victorians, and with the State Budget due to be handed down within weeks, it is critical that it invests in a Green New Deal to create jobs and build a caring society and clean economy.
Acting Leader of the Victorian Greens, Ellen Sandell, said the pandemic had provided the Andrews Labor Government with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to build back a better future and that it would be irresponsible and dangerous to ignore it.
As stated by Acting Leader of the Victorian Greens, Ellen Sandell MP:
“This year has been extremely difficult for Victorians – first with the horrendous bushfires and then the Covid pandemic.
“But the year has also provided us with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to build back a better future for Victoria and the upcoming State Budget will be the Andrews Labor Government’s first test.
“That’s why we’re moving a motion calling on the government to support a Green New Deal for Victoria. So that we can tackle climate change, promote equality and build a caring society, while creating the jobs we need.”