Man charged over alleged kidnapping and attempted extortion in Wentworthville

A former high-ranking outlaw motorcycle gang (OMCG) member has been charged after another man was allegedly detained and assaulted in an extortion attempt in Sydney’s west this week.

Police will allege in court that a 52-year-old man met with two men at a Wentworthville hotel on Tuesday (29 January 2019), where he was detained in a vehicle and driven around the area.

The man’s phone and wallet were taken, and he was assaulted. He was also threatened in an extortion attempt before later being released.

Officers from Cumberland and Blacktown Police Area Commands were notified, and with the assistance of the State Crime Command’s Robbery and Serious Crime Squad, launched an investigation.

Following inquiries, detectives stopped a van on Wentworth Avenue, Pendle Hill on Wednesday (30 January 2019).

During a Firearm Prohibition Order search of the van, officers allegedly located a firearm, cable ties, duct tape, rope, a knife, mobile phones, and cash.

The occupants, two men – aged 29 and 42, were arrested and taken to Granville Police Station.

The younger man was charged with take/detain in company with intent to ransom occasion actual bodily harm, take/detain person in company with intent to ransom, aggravated robbery and inflict actual bodily harm, aggravated robbery and inflict actual bodily harm, possess or use a prohibited weapon without permit, acquire etc pistol-subject to firearms prohibition order, demand property in company with menaces with intent to steal.

Strike Force Raptor also charged the man with stalk/intimidate intend fear physical etc harm (personal) and carry out activity without operator licence (Unlawful Debt Collecting – s11 Commercial Agents and Private Inquiry Agents Act 2004).

It will be alleged in court that the man, who is not a licenced commercial agent, intimidated another man in an attempt to collect an unrelated debt in December 2018.

The man, who is a former high-ranking member of the Nomads OMCG, appeared at Fairfield Local Court yesterday (Thursday 31 January 2019), where he was formally refused bail.

He will re-appear at Parramatta Local Court on Thursday 28 March 2019 and Thursday 14 March 2019 for the respective matters.

The older man was released without charge.

Inquiries continue.

/Public Release. View in full here.