The new shared path bridge at the Ferntree Gully Community Centre has been dubbed the treehouse bridge due to its location and raised elevation. The new bridge gives the feeling of being within the tree canopies (like a treehouse) and is expected to be in place by the end of the month, weather permitting.
Please note that during this time the bridge will not be accessible. Pedestrians and cyclists will be required to utilise the nearby road bridge (which also has footpath access).
The treehouse bridge will provide the following benefits;
- Widened 3m deck for safe pedestrian and cyclist use
- Improved accessibility so that all can enjoy the bridge and the views
- Enhanced decking that is slip-resistant for commuters
- New viewing platform to allow stopping points to enjoy the Ferny Creek scenery
- Designed to blend the structure into the surrounding environment.
- Improved handrail and barrier safety
Given the location of this bridge, spanning across Ferny Creek, the design aims to blend the bridge into the surrounding environment, ensuring that the bridge enhances the area rather than detracts from it.
We will also be undertaking more planting along the Ferny Creek corridor to enhance the area and improve the views from the new viewing platform in the future and benefit the natural environment.