Overseas Licences Now Accepted As Proof Of Age

VIC Premier

The Victorian Government is cutting red tape by allowing overseas drivers licences to be used as proof of age for entry into licensed venues.

Minister for Gaming and Liquor Regulation Melissa Horne today announced the changes, which will make life easier for those who don’t possess an Australian driver licence.

The changes will also bring Victoria’s laws in in line with other Australian states and territories.

Any licences in a language other than English will need to be accompanied by an English translation or International Drivers Permit, which can be easily downloaded online.

Previously, those who held overseas driver licences were required to use their passport as a form of identification to enter licensed venues.

Under the changes, anyone who possesses a marine licence can also use this as a proof of age document for entry into a licensed venue, meaning those who have a marine licence but not a driver licence will no longer be required to carry multiple forms of identification.

As stated by Minister for Gaming and Liquor Regulation Melissa Horne

“With businesses safely reopening, expanding the documents used for proof of age will make it easier for more people to enjoy all that Victoria’s impressive food and beverage scene has to offer.”

“Victoria is home to many overseas workers who shouldn’t have to worry about the safety of their passport in a licensed venue.”

/Public Release. View in full here.