Port Macquarie Animal Shelter marks third anniversary with Open Day

Port Macquarie-Hastings

Port Macquarie Animal Shelter is inviting the community to celebrate its third anniversary with its first ever Open Day on Saturday, 4 November, from 10am to 12pm. It will be held at 27 John Fraser Place, in the front carpark area.

The event will feature a guided tour every half an hour, where interested pet owners can look at animals available for adoption. Port Macquarie Hastings Council rangers will be present to educate the community on the work that they do and to promote responsible pet ownership.

Local community groups will also join the event to offer free information sessions, including early intervention, basic training and koala avoidance demonstrations.

There will be free face painting, freebies and lucky door prizes available, as well as local business stallholders set up for one-stop pet supplies and services.

The Open Day is a unique opportunity for members of the community to learn more about the process of ranger pickup and in-shelter care to reunification or adoption.

Between 60-80 animals are taken in per month, with approximately 60 per cent of these surrendered or abandoned. The remaining 40% are successfully returned to their owners.

In June this year, the animal shelter marked its 1000th adoption.

/Public Release. View in full here.