Hawkesbury City Council’s Draft Net Zero Emissions and Water Efficiency Strategy will be available for view and comment on Council’s website www.hawkesbury.nsw.go.au via the Have Your say tab or the link www.yourhawkesbury-yoursay.com.au and at Council’s Administration Building, 366 George Street, Windsor until Monday, 15 February 2021. Standard opening hours of Council’s Administration Building are 9am to 4pm but please refer to Council’s Christmas/New Year hours of operation on Council’s website www.hawkesbury.nsw.go.au during the Christmas period.
Council welcomes the opportunity to engage with and seek feedback from all stakeholders regarding the Draft Net Zero Emissions and Water Efficiency Strategy.
Council has a commitment to become a net zero emissions organisation by 2050, if not sooner. Additionally, the Hawkesbury Community Strategic Plan 2017-2036 outlines that the Hawkesbury community aspires to become a carbon neutral Local Government Area. In order to establish a pathway to achieving these aspirations and direction, Council has recently prepared a Draft Net Zero Emissions and Water Efficiency Strategy.
The Draft Strategy outlines a plan to guide Council, and the community, to achieve emissions and water reductions across Council’s operations and the broader local government area. The Draft Strategy will assist to deliver a climate resilient community with economic benefits for Council and the community through decreased operational costs and environmental benefits. The implementation of this Draft Strategy requires collaboration and coordination across Council and stakeholders including residents, businesses and government agencies.
Following technical analysis of the emissions sources, population projections and the development and implementation of the actions referenced in the Draft Strategy, the following targets for emissions reductions and water efficiency have been recommended:
- Net Zero Emissions by 2030 or earlier
- No net increase in potable water use (Sydney Water Mains)
- All non-potable water demand to be serviced using recycled water
The Hawkesbury community
- 25% reduction in emissions relative to FY2016/2017 baseline by 2028
- 60% reduction in emissions relative to FY2016/2017 baseline by 2036
- Net Zero Emissions by 2050 through strategies and carbon offsets
- No net increase in water use relative to FY2016/2017 baseline by 2028
- Under 5% increase in water use relative to FY2016/2017 baseline by 2036
- Under 25% increase in water use relative to FY2016/2017 baseline by 2050
The Draft Strategy covers six Strategies towards a net zero resilient Hawkesbury, including:
1. A more resilient and renewable powered grid
2. Greener suburbs and better design
3. Low carbon and local transport
4. Towards a zero-waste community
5. Drought resilient, green centres
6. Council leading by example.