Macedon Ranges Shire Council is holding free information sessions for older people, their families and carers about Commonwealth Home Support Programme services across the shire during April and May.
Most people want to stay in their homes for as long as possible as they get older and Commonwealth Home Support Programme services can provide the extra support needed to stay independent and connected to the community.
Services provided by the program include:
- Domestic assistance: cleaning, meal preparation, home maintenance, home modifications, aids and equipment (i.e. mobility aids, etc.).
- Personal care assistance: showering, dressing, nursing needs (i.e. wound care or medication), etc.
- Respite care: someone to care for you while your carer takes a break.
- Social support: support to attend appointments, shopping, banking, accompanied activities, group excursions, assistance with technology (purchasing & using devices), regular phone calls, etc.
The information sessions will explain more about the program and who can benefit from it, as well as what services are available locally, how supports can be accessed and approximate costs.
Council’s Director Community, Maria Weiss said Commonwealth Home Support Programme services play a pivotal role in helping the shire’s older population to remain active members of the local community.
“We encourage older residents and their families to come along to an information session to find out what support is available in the shire to help them stay independent and living safely in their own home,” she said.
The sessions will run from 10am to 12noon at the following locations:
- Kyneton Mechanics Institute – 26 April 2022
- Riddells Creek Community Centre – 3 May 2022
- Woodend Community Centre – 12 May 2022
- Romsey Mechanics Institute – 17 May 2022
- Macedon Community Centre – 23 May 2022
- Online – 30 May 2022.
COVID-safety measures will be in place at the sessions and free transport can be arranged for those who do not have access to transport. An online session is also available for those who are unable or prefer not to attend in-person.