Roger Jaensch,Minister for Disability Services and Community Development
The Hodgman majority Liberal Government is committed to ensuring all Tasmanians have every opportunity to be healthy, happy and productive.
That’s why we are encouraging Tasmanians to apply for the Multicultural Grants Program 2020 and Learning Grants Program 2019-20, which officially open today.
The Multicultural Grants Program aims to assist migrants to settle and feel welcome in Tasmania by providing funding for projects that:
- build the capacity of ethnic communities to deliver positive outcomes for community members, including civic and community participation; and
- support projects that foster cross-cultural understanding and engagement, and assist migrants to feel welcome and part of the community.
The program is part of the Hodgman majority Liberal Government’s Population Growth Strategy, which encourages people to move to Tasmania through job creation and migration, ensuring Tasmania is recognised as a vibrant and welcoming community.
The Learning Grants Program 2019-20, which also opened today, aims to:
- optimise the opportunities for students and refugees from migrant backgrounds in senior high school years in Tasmania by completing Year 12 and progression to post-secondary education pathways;
- increase student confidence, English language proficiency and understanding of core curriculum subjects;
- enhance the participation of parents/families from refugee and migrant backgrounds in their school communities; and
- stimulate a range of sustainable programs to assist refugee and migrant students with learning.
The Hodgman majority Liberal Government wants to ensure all Tasmanians are treated fairly, with respect, without discrimination and have an equal opportunity to engage in the Tasmanian life.