Armed Crime Squad detectives have arrested four men and seized three firearms during warrants in Melton West and Hoppers Crossing over the past few days.
A warrant was executed at a property in Melton West on Friday, 14 June and a 32-year-old Melton West man was arrested in relation to a shooting in Melton West in November last year
The man, who is subject to a current Firearms Prohibition Order, has since been charged with a range of firearms offences including Prohibited Person Possess Firearm and FPO Subject in Possession of a Firearm.
He was remanded in custody to appear at Melbourne Magistrates Court on 19 June, 2019.
A 21-year-old Melton West man was also arrested at the same property in possession of a firearm.
Police executed a further warrant at a Hoppers Crossing address today and arrested a second man in relation to the Melton West shooting.
The 30-year-old Hoppers Crossing man was interviewed by police and has been released pending further enquiries.
A 68-year-old Hoppers Crossing man was also arrested at the same address today and has been charged with firearms. This man remains in custody.
Three sawn-off shotguns, ammunition, and a range of other items such as stolen property were seized from the two premises.
The warrants formed part of the ongoing investigation into a non-fatal shooting in Melton West last November.
During the incident, shots were fired into a vehicle on Linlithgow Way and struck the man driving the car in the head.
Detective Superintendent Peter Brigham said the arrests highlight the ongoing focus on firearms-related crime.
“We understand there are concerns in the community in relation to recent shootings, so to arrest and charge two people and seize three illicit firearms and ammunition is a good outcome,” he said.
“It’s also important to recognise that the seriousness of the relevant offences are significantly increased given one of the men had an active Firearms Prohibition order in place.
“We have always said that the FPOs are an important tool for police to have and let us target in a really strong way those who present a public risk if they access, possess, or carry firearms.
“This result really underscores that these orders are being given to those who are willing to bring the community harm through firearms-related violence.”
The investigation into the Melton shooting remains ongoing and anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au