Grain losses during harvesting equate to significant lost income for growers across Australia every year.
To support growers in their efforts to reduce harvest losses and improve operations at harvest time, the Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC) is hosting a series of free-of-charge harvester forums.
The half-day forums will focus on harvest loss reduction, harvest weed seed control (HWSC) and prevention of harvester fires.
Growers, advisers and contractors participating in the forums will learn about strategies to improve harvest practices, with presentations by industry experts to assist growers in ensuring more grain goes in the bin.
GRDC Grower Relations Manager – North, Graeme Sandral said the forums had been organised in response to calls from industry.
Mr Sandral said research had shown in some instances significant amounts of grain were being left on the ground during harvest, representing income losses of up to $100/hectare.
Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES) farm survey data puts average farm losses at harvest at around $96,000 annually.
“These practical, interactive forums will demonstrate harvest weed seed control to growers and show how operational adjustments can reduce harvest losses,” Mr Sandral said.
” Optimising harvest losses, reducing grain damage, and managing weed seeds – ultimately return more income per hectare, but measuring those losses is the key to being able to manage them.”
Co-ordinated by Primary Sales and FarmLink, the forums are being held in regional locations in New South Wales next month.
Topics covered at the forums include:
- Understanding the impact of harvest loss, how to measure it and how to change your harvester to reduce losses
- HWSC latest information, sharing how to set-up for effective HWSC using mills systems (iHSD, Seed Terminator, SCU) chaff decks & chaff lining
- Reducing the risk of harvester fires
These forums will be held at:
- Lake Cargeligo, Tuesday, October 13, 8am-noon (Grower paddock details provided on registration)
- Condobolin, Tuesday, October 13, 1.30pm-5.30pm (Grower paddock details provided on registration)
- Ardlethan, Thursday, October 15, 8am-noon (Grower paddock details provided on registration)
- Lockhart, Thursday, October 15, 1.30pm-5.30pm (Grower paddock details provided on registration)
The forums will feature experts Greg Condon (Grassroots Ag), Rod Gribble (Australian Custom Harvesters) and Warrack Finlay (Primary Sales).