The Territory Labor Government is improving certainty and understanding around planning decisions with the Planning Amendment Bill 2020 now introduced into Parliament.
The Bill amends the Planning Act 1999 to deliver a modern planning system that aligns with best practice in Australia.
Its purpose is to increase transparency and accountability within the planning system and to deliver better development outcomes, with an eye to the needs of future generations.
Key benefits of the Bill are:
- Increased emphasis on sustainable development in the context of social, economic and environmental needs and values for Territorians now and into the future;
- More certainty around how and where land uses are expected to change in the future;
- Planning processes and documents that are easier to follow and understand;
- More local input into planning matters;
- A framework that encourages better development outcomes, responds to local factors and supports innovative developments;