Travel exemption for residents to prepare for summer season

From midnight on Wednesday 21 October 2020 residents in metropolitan Melbourne will be able to apply for a permit to enter regional Victoria for the purpose of fire preparedness activities at their second property.

Permits can be applied for through the Council in which their second property is located. A permit (or similar written approval) is required for all metropolitan Melbourne residents to enter regional Victoria for the purpose of fire preparedness, including those who may have already received a Fire Prevention Notice.

Permits will be assessed and be issued for properties, which in the opinion of a Fire Prevention Officer, are deemed a potential fire hazard.

“We are committed to ensuring our Council area is prepared for the upcoming summer season and will give careful consideration to each application.” Council’s Director of Development and Planning Heather Green said.

“Where possible we would encourage home owners to engage local contractors to complete works as recommended by the State Government to limit the number of people leaving Melbourne”

Council will continue to issue Fire Prevention Notices where it is deemed necessary. If you receive a Fire Prevention Notice you are required to comply with the instructions on the notice, and as such should apply for a permit if you are a metropolitan Melbourne resident and propose to visit to carry out the necessary works.

The State Government regulations allow residents who live in regional Victoria continue to be able to travel to a second property, holiday home, or business in regional Victoria to prepare it for an emergency, without a permit.

Important information for owners who wish to travel from Melbourne to Swan Hill Council area:

  • Residents of metropolitan Melbourne are required to comply with Chief Health Officer’s restrictions that are relevant to their primary address in Melbourne when they travel into regional Victoria.
  • Owners will have a maximum of 72 hours to complete the works and return to their place of residence.
  • You must advise Council in your application if you need to stay overnight at your secondary property to complete the works. Camping on your property will be permitted.
  • You must not book accommodation in Regional Victoria. If you cannot stay at your residence you will need to return to your primary place of residence.
  • Penalties will apply if you are found to be failing to comply with the CHO Directions and conditions of travel approval.
  • Owners must bring all the tools and supplies they need with them from their primary place of residence. You will not be able to visit local businesses to purchase supplies.
  • The use of local contractors is strongly encouraged.

Please note that permits will only be issued to the property owner and their immediate household members.

Please allow up to five working days for applications to be assessed.

/Public Release. View in full here.