Australia’s Population Grows By 2.5% 13 June

Australia’s population grew by 2.5 per cent to 26.97 million people in 2023, according to the latest figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

Beidar Cho, ABS head of demography, said: “Net overseas migration drove 84 per cent of this population growth, while natural increase accounted for the other 16 per cent.”

Net overseas migration was 547,300 people in 2023, with 751,500 arrivals and 204,200 departures.

Natural increase was 103,900 people in 2023, 6.4 per cent less than in 2022. This is made up of 287,100 births and 183,100 deaths registered in Australia.

Western Australia had the fastest growing population, up 3.3 per cent from 2022. This was followed by Victoria, which grew by 2.8 per cent, and Queensland, which grew by 2.6 per cent.

Tasmania saw the lowest growth, at 0.4 per cent.

Population at 31 December 2023 (‘000)

Change over previous year (‘000)Change over previous year (%)
New South Wales8434.8185.52.2
Victoria6906.0186.52.8
Queensland5528.3141.42.6
South Australia1866.330.21.6
Western Australia2927.993.83.3
Tasmania574.72.40.4
Northern Territory253.62.40.9
Australian Capital Territory470.29.12.0
Australia (a)26966.8651.22.5
  1. Includes Other Territories comprising Jervis Bay Territory, Christmas Island, the Cocos (Keeling) Islands and Norfolk Island.

/ABS Public Release. View in full here.