During September 2020, the Yandina community will celebrate 150 years since the proclamation of Yandina as a Township Reserve on September 23, 1870.
At the time, Surveyor William Fryae penned a report to the Surveyor General dated August 11, 1870. It refers to the site he deemed suitable for a town or village where Yandina stands today.
“I have the honor to report that the site described below appears to embrace the necessary conditions – commencing at a point on the South Maroochy River on the left bank and immediately opposite the north west corner of James Low’s selection of 97 acres and bounded thence on the west by a line bearing north 60 chains, on the north by a line bearing east about 110 chains to the North Maroochy River and thence by that river downwards to its confluence with the South Maroochy and thence by that river upwards to the point of commencement.
The land is generally above flood mark and the river is permanently fresh water. There is a very considerable waterfall about four miles up the river which in future might be utilised for mechanical or sanitary purposes.
The site is about half way between Caboolture (where a village settlement appears to be forming) and Gympie, and an inn, Police Camp and Post Office are already established adjoining it.
It is about 74 miles from Brisbane and 46 from Gympie and a considerable population is already settled in the neighbourhood. The land being well adapted for settlement.”
Six weeks later, on September 23, 1870 a Proclamation, by His Excellency Samuel Wensley Blackall, Esquire, Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the Colony of Queensland and its Dependencies, appeared in the Queensland Government Gazette.
The Proclamation declared the Township Reserve, County of Canning, Moreton District. About 750 acres “shall be reserved for township purposes and be withheld from selection or sale by auction otherwise than in town or suburban lots”.
Reference: Queensland State Archives, Sur/A57, Proclamation – QGG 1870, vol 12, pp1192-3.
Thanks to Sunshine Coast Council’s Heritage Library Officers for the words and Picture Sunshine Coast for the photos.