Body Of Man Found After Broken Hill House Fire

A man has died after fire damaged a home in Broken Hill this morning.

Emergency services were called to the semi-detached home in Argent Street about 1am (Monday 10 June 2024), after neighbours reported seeing flames.

Fire and Rescue NSW firefighters were initially unable to enter the building due to the severity of the blaze; when they did gain access about 3.20am they found the body of a man in a bedroom.

He has not yet been identified but is believed to be the occupant, aged in his 70s.

Neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution until the fire was contained.

Specialist fire investigators will examine the scene later this morning.

The cause of the blaze is not yet confirmed, but police have been told may have started in the fireplace.

The home did not appear to have smoke detectors fitted.

Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report information via NSW Police social media pages.

/Public Release. View in full here.