Griffith City Council has awarded funds to three community groups impacted by the COVID-19 lockdown after the third round of applications were assessed.
As part of the 2020/21 Budget, Council established the COVID-19 Community Grants Relief Fund of $100,000.
Under the program, a grant of up to $5,000 is available to community groups, not-for-profit organisations and sporting bodies for eligible projects aimed at assisting those organisations affected by the COVID -19 lockdown.
The Communities Committee assessed six applications in September totaling $26,600, determining the eligibility for the COVID relief grant, and awarding just over $9,000 to three organisations.
At the Ordinary Meeting on 13 October 2020 Council endorsed the following COVID 19 Community Grants Relief Fund applications;
- Hanwood Public School P&C Association – $1,600
- Griffith Public School P&C Association – $5,000
- The Australian Man Cave Support Group (Griffith Chapter) – $2,500
Councillor Doug Curran is encouraging eligible groups to consider applying.
“Council is pleased to be able to support the community through the COVID-19 Relief Grant and with so many applications coming in, it’s obvious that there is a real need in our community for this level of support,” Cr Curran said.
“So far we have distributed close to $70,000 to eligible groups, leaving around $30,000 available. I would encourage your community group, not for profit organisation or sporting group to visit the Council website to see if you are eligible and put in an application for the next round.”
The Communities Committee have established a set of guidelines to assist groups submitting an application.
Guidelines used to assist assessments are as follows:
- Project or resources requested must be directly related to COVID-19
- Ongoing administrative or operational costs not eligible
- Capital purchases must be directly related to or demonstrable against losses incurred due to COVID-19
- Evidence and supporting documents demonstrating impact of COVID-19 should be supplied
- Projects and organisations must be in the Griffith Local Government Area
The COVID-19 Community Grants Relief Fund is ongoing until funds are exhausted. Applications will continue to be assessed monthly by the Communities Committee of Council.
Application forms can be found at www.griffith.nsw.gov.au/grants