Elise Archer,Minister for Heritage
The completion of urgent conservation works on the historic Kelvedon Boatshed is being celebrated as a great heritage outcome, following a grant from the Tasmanian Government.
The much photographed boatshed on Tasmania’s East Coast is an important part of the story associated with the 1829 Kelvedon property, and reflects a historic link with the sea.
A storm in August 2018 led to the collapse of the boatshed’s roof and a section of the boatshed’s walls, threatening to completely destroy the structure.
The Tasmanian majority Liberal Government provided a capital grant worth $25,000 to the Glamorgan-Spring Bay Council to assist the owner carry out the works needed to repair and restore the boatshed to its former glory.
Works undertaken as part of this project included the reinstatement of roofline and re-roofing, repairs to the bush pole structure, and reconstruction of the bluestone base and walls.
Anyone driving along the beautiful stretch of our fabulous East Coast can now appreciate this striking historic coastal sentinel and the effort that has gone into restoring it to stand for years to come.