Liverpool Animal Shelter has reopened its doors for adoptions this week following the NSW Government’s announcement that Councils were able to recommence rehoming with the implementation of COVID19 safe practices.
Liverpool City Council Mayor Wendy Waller welcomed the news, saying she is pleased Council could once again assist Liverpool’s furry friends to find their forever homes.
“This is great news for local people who have been patiently waiting to welcome a new rescue pet into their family,” Mayor Waller said.
“By reopening this service under strict guidelines, we are reaffirming Council’s commitment to animal welfare and ensuring health, safety and wellbeing of our staff during these difficult times.
“Council is closely monitoring the public health orders and will continue to adjust our practices as instructed by the NSW Government.
“I would like to remind everyone that the updated guidelines state that those wishing to adopt an animal should arrange collection from their local government area or within 5km of their home, unless it is not reasonably available locally.”
The new COVID19 Safe Animal Adoption process at Liverpool Animal Shelter is:
- People seeking to adopt an animal from the shelter are required to contact the shelter by phone to express an interest in available animals. There will be no walk ins allowed;
- The Animal Rehoming Officer will conduct a phone interview to assess the suitability of the home for the specific animal and
- relevant forms completed electronically and emailed to the shelter;
- A meet and greet appointment will be arranged at the shelter at a specific time;
- Animals will be brought to the meet and greet yard and staff will remain outside the yard while the adoptee interacts with the animal; and
- If adoptee decides to proceed with adoption, then payment will be contactless and relevant paperwork emailed to the adoptee.
Since rehoming temporarily ceased on 14 July 2021, Liverpool Animal Shelter has rehomed nine dogs and one cat to rescue organisations.
Adoptions have recommenced as of Wednesday 8 September 2021 under strict compliance with COVID Safe Animal Adoption Procedures.
Liverpool Animal Shelter operates from Rossmore Veterinary Hospital at 651 Bringelly Rd, Rossmore and is open from 9am to 4.30pm every day (except Public Holidays) to accept stray dogs and for reclaims.