NSW police lay charges after unmarked police vehicle stolen and destroyed

Detectives have charged a man over the alleged theft and arson of an unmarked police car and armed robbery of a supermarket in Sydney’s north west at the weekend.

On Saturday (31 October 2020), officers from The Hills Police Area Command, with assistance from the Robbery and Serious Crime Squad, commenced an investigation after a blue Ford Mondeo and white Peugeot hatchback were stolen from outside a home in Bella Vista.

Initial inquiries revealed the car keys were stolen during a break-in at the home, along with a number of NSW Police Force issued items, between 3am and 3.40am.

No police issue weapons were stolen.

A resident of another home in the same Bella Vista street also reported a break-in to police, believed to have occurred in the early hours of Saturday morning.

About 5am, the police vehicle was found on fire in Oakley Road, Macquarie Fields, and was destroyed.

During the investigation, police were notified of an armed robbery at a supermarket at Camden Valley Way, Edmunson Park, just before 8pm on Sunday (1 November 2020).

Police were told a man – armed with a firearm – entered the store and threatened staff and customers, before stealing cash and leaving the scene in a white Peugeot hatch.

A short time later, the vehicle was found on fire in parkland between Greenwell Road and Wagga Wagga Street at Prestons. It was destroyed.

Following information received, officers from Campbelltown City Police Area Command attended a home at Macquarie Fields about 12.30pm yesterday (Monday 2 November 2020).

Officers recovered a number of stolen NSW Police Force items including a high-visibility vest, polar fleece jacket and hat.

A 50-year-old man was arrested a short time later at Macquarie Fields and taken to Campbelltown Police Station.

He was charged with robbery while armed with dangerous weapon, acquire firearm (subject to prohibition order), steal motor vehicle, drive motor vehicle during disqualification period and damage property by fire (more than $15,000).

The man was refused bail to appear at Campbelltown Local Court today (Tuesday 3 November 2020).

Investigations into the incidents are continuing.

/Public Release. View in full here.