Officers injured after two police vehicles rammed, man arrested at Port Macquarie, NSW

A man has been arrested after allegedly ramming two police cars while trying to evade police at Port Macquarie yesterday.

About 5.30pm (Friday 5 July 2019), several police cars attended an industrial complex in Fernhill Road following reports of suspicious activity.

As police arrived, two cars, a Landcruiser and a Mitsubishi Outlander, attempted to leave the scene. The Mitsubishi allegedly drove directly at a police car colliding with the front. The Mitsubishi continued driving and collided head-on with a second police car, causing the air bags to be deployed on the police car.

The driver ran from the car towards the industrial complex and was located a short time later with the assistance of the police dog. Police searched the scene and located a 22 calibre rifle and property suspected of being stolen.

Police also searched a house at Friar Close, Port Macquarie where a shortened .22 calibre rifle, ammunition and other property were located These items have been seized and will be forensically examined.

The 29-year-old man was taken to Port Macquarie Police Station and charged with:

  • police pursuit – not stop
  • resist arrest
  • assault police
  • drive while disqualified
  • drive recklessly/furiously/manner dangerous
  • use weapon to avoid apprehension
  • goods in custody
  • destroy property
  • possess shortened firearm
  • possess ammunition
  • not keep firearm safe

He was refused bail and will appear in Port Macquarie Local Court today (Saturday 6 July 2019). He was remanded in custody and will reappear in Port Macquarie Local Court on Monday 8 July 2019.

One of the officers suffered a suspected fractured arm and the other officer had cuts and bruising.

The Landcruiser was able to evade police and officers are now searching for the driver of the car.

He is described as being of Caucasian appearance, 175 cm tall with a medium build.

Investigations are continuing.

/Public Release. View in full here.