Individuals, local community groups and organisations are now able to apply for grant funding of up to $5,000 to support events on and around Reconciliation Day.
Grants will support individuals and organisations to hold meaningful events in the lead up to Reconciliation Day on 1 June 2020.
Reconciliation Day is an opportunity for the Canberra community to come together in the spirit of reconciliation to recognise and mark the important place of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and histories in our city and nation.
Locally organised events are a key part of Reconciliation Day in Canberra. This second round of grants will provide an opportunity for all Canberrans to be involved in the day, hosting activities, workshops and seminars across our city.
The Reconciliation Day Grants Program supports events with a focus on:
- promoting understanding and celebration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures in the wider community
- celebrating and raising the significance of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures in the wider community
- promoting understanding of and, the impact on, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples of past policies and historical events
- delivering opportunities for children, young people and elders to be involved and to have the ability to participate in community events that promote
- developing seminars and/or panel discussions on the importance of Reconciliation for all Australians.
The ACT Reconciliation Council will help to assess the applications as part of its role overseeing the program for Reconciliation Day.
The Reconciliation Day grant program supports the objectives of the ACT Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Agreement 2019-2028. Cultural integrity is a core focus of the Agreement.