This Sunday (13 December 2020), Toowoomba will host its first-ever Indigenous Artisans Market showcasing the cultures, creativity and entrepreneurship of the region’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander business owners.
Department of Seniors, Disability Services and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships South West Queensland Regional Director Brad Saunders said the markets were in response to COVID-19 impacts on local businesses.
“The Indigenous Artisans’ Market is an opportunity for community and Christmas shoppers to connect with local First Nations business owners from across our region, who continue to work with great resilience and drive to bounce back from COVID-19 impacts,” Mr Saunders said.
“You’re sure to find something special for Christmas, from handcrafted homewares and unique accessories, to beautiful gifts and authentic artwork from local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists, designers, entrepreneurs and business owners.
“Everyone is welcome to attend and show their support for local First Nations businesses and we’re looking forward to a successful day and hope this is the start of a regular event,” he said.
Locals and visitors are invited to attend and experience traditional bush foods, refreshments, clothing, jewellery, art and handmade items showcasing the world’s oldest continuous cultures.
This a first for Toowoomba and a great opportunity to support local and buy unique products direct from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander owned businesses this Christmas.
Local Aboriginal-owned apparel and accessories brand, Roots & Mirrigal, is among the stallholders.
Husband-wife duo, Kamilaroi man Josh Waters and Kullilli woman Kerry Canning, established the business in 2019.
“We are a family owned and operated Aboriginal business,” Ms Canning said.
“Our products take pride in culture and we welcome everyone to be part of our journey to revive and celebrate culture, knowledge and tradition.
“We are excited to be part of Toowoomba’s first markets dedicated to showcasing and celebrating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander owned businesses,” she said.
Indigenous Artisans Market: Celebrating First Nations Culture
Sunday 13 December
Engine Room Café, 1 Railway St Toowoomba
Visit the event Facebook page for more details.
- Aunty Relle’s Creations – handsewn products with traditional prints
- Barb’s Weaving – weaving and baskets
- Burunda Creations – earrings, candles and jewellery
- CBT arts & KND creation – artwork, jewellery, pot plants and crafts
- Eurah Australia – tea bags, honey and items using traditional ingredients
- Indigenous Insights – CDs, jewellery, children’s play demonstration
- Little Lush Sweets – cookies and cupcakes
- Murri Tukka – bush tucker and plants
- Murruppi Enterprises – boomerangs, bullroarers, emu callers, coolamons and digeridoos
- Raw Success – wholefoods
- Roots & Mirrigal – earrings and apparel
- Susie Klein Art – children’s art activities, face painting