In response to the current bushfire emergency, the University is extending and increasing its current veterinary services for wildlife, livestock and companion animals affected by the bushfire as a matter of urgent priority.
A dedicated crowdfunding campaign has been established to enable the community to provide financial contributions to assist the University with this effort.
The University’s services include:
- helping to house, feed and treat animals that have been displaced due to fire or loss of habitat
- our Avian Reptile and Exotic Pet Hospital in Camden is offering a 24/7 hotline to veterinarians and wildlife carers who need immediate advice
- our veterinary hospitals, located in Camperdown and Camden taking additional wildlife referrals
- supporting volunteer organisations and government agencies with the provision of veterinary support
- providing veterinary care to companion animals affected by the bushfires at no charge (or at subsidised cost)
- our Koala Health Hub providing online koala care information to veterinarians and rehabilitation volunteers nationally
- free chlamydia testing kits for koalas provided to veterinarians and other agencies to limit the spread of this devastating disease
- conducting crucial research into the health of koalas and other wildlife, working with state government and rehabilitation groups to develop best-practice treatment and rehabilitation approaches.
Professor Frazer Allan, Head of Sydney School of Veterinary Science said, “Since the start of the bushfires we have had staff and students on the ground in NSW providing advice and assistance.”
“We welcome the public’s support in helping us to use our expertise and services to do whatever we can to both assist the vets and other professionals treating animals as well as using our own clinics to treat affected animals.”
The University’s Vice-Chancellor has acknowledged the role the University has to play in making our expertise available to governments and communities in our efforts to rebuild and attempt to prevent serious recurrence of the bushfires.
Please give to the Bushfire Emergency Veterinary Appeal to support Australia’s animals which are in dire need.
For enquiries related to animal care of wildlife especially through the Avian, Reptile and Exotic Pet Hospital, contact [email protected]
If your enquiry relates to wildlife carers, government funding and WIRES, contact [email protected]
For enquiries about the 24 hour advice hotline for bushfire victims that we have established with WIRES or the Animals in Need fund, contact [email protected]