Victoria Police encourages safer drivers during Lunar New Year

tourist destinations ahead of Lunar New Year.

Officially commencing on 5 February, police expect to see increased international visitors to Victoria celebrating the new year until the end of February.

Road Policing Command Assistant Commissioner Stephen Leane is reminding international visitors to familiarise themselves with local road rules to ensure their visit to Victoria is a safe and happy one.

“We welcome visitors to our great state and will be deploying extra resources to tourist hotspot routes during peak times. Our focus will be on drivers on unfamiliar roads and in unfamiliar conditions,” AC Leane said.

“With destinations such as The Twelve Apostles and Philip Island, Victoria is becoming increasingly popular for tourists every year, with many of these visitors choosing a self-driving holiday.

“Police will be boosting their presence along tourist routes and at scenic sites, but it is more important than ever that travellers take extra care and are aware of Victorian road rules and conditions.

Police are reminding travellers of the following to stay safe on our roads:

Journeys may take longer than you think. Get plenty of rest before driving long distances and allow extra time

If you are driving long distances, take a 15-minute break at least every two hours and, where possible, share the driving

Take the time to pull over to take photos and enjoy the scenery

Drive within the limits and to the conditions

Get to know the road rules, signs and markings before you drive

Everyone must wear seatbelts

Remember to keep left

Avoid distractions: driving is a complex task that requires full concentration and it is essential drivers minimise the risk of distraction in their vehicle.

The risk of bushfires during summer in Victoria means it is important that international visitors know which emergency broadcast channels and mobile phone apps to use to access information updates.

If you see smoke or fire, call Triple Zero (000) immediately. If you have difficulty speaking English, you can ask for an interpreter once you have been transferred to the emergency service you requested.

/Public Release. View in full here.