New concept images of the Hinterland Adventure Playground show a distinctly unique Noosa facility is planned for the Cooroy site.
Noosa Council has released the series of concept images in 3D to give the community a more accurate picture of what is being considered for the green field site in front of the Cooroy Library.
Mayor Tony Wellington said the proposed facility could become “one of Australia’s finest” play spaces for children of all ages and abilities.
“There has been a lot of conjecture about the playground and what will be included, so we hope these images show the community the design proposals and how this nature-based play area will inspire the imagination of children and adults alike,” he said.
“Our design staff have collaborated with some of the best playground consultants to deliver a positive, engaging and fun experience that will be unique to Noosa.”
The facility has been intentionally designed to use natural elements and inspire nature-based learning. The development will include more than 60 new car spaces plus public toilet facilities, all of which will meet the growing needs of residents and visitors.
“The Cooroy Chamber of Commerce has been asking for more parking and more public toilets, so we are pleased to be able to meet those requests in the design of this landmark facility,” the Mayor said.
“The designs feature a series of natural-themed play areas with a timber maze, meandering paths, picnic and barbecue areas, a dual flying fox, giant natural climbing structures and a replicated creek water play area. There is also an open space to toss a frisbee, plus native gardens to explore.
“We need to be mindful that a fully grown tree canopy, as shown in the design images, will take about five years to achieve. But if the community is happy with what they see, everything else in the design pictures could be ready from opening day,” Cr Wellington said.
“We have received a $2.8 million grant from the Queensland Government through the Local Government Grants and Subsidies Program (LGGSP) and Council is contributing the remainder. The grant provides 60 per cent of the remaining funding with council committing the other 40 per cent.”