On Monday CFA started it’s 12 Days of Christmas which aims to provide safety tips for the community to plan and prepare this festive season.
Whether you’re travelling this year, spending it with family or not celebrating at all CFA will provide you with some great tips to stay safe.
Community safety Senior Engagement Advisor Chris Barber said this is another great way to make sure the community is prepared this fire season.
“There is still time to prepare this fire season,” Chris said. “There will be some great tips shared online so make sure you’re following along.
“Many members of the community travel around Christmas time and it’s important to be aware of high fire danger areas, including fire risks around our forests, grasslands and coastal areas.
“We want everyone to have a great festive holiday whilst also staying safe.”
Prepare your property; it can minimise property damage even if you leave early:
- Move furniture, woodpiles and mulch away from windows, decks and eaves
- Prune tree branches so they are not overhanging the roof or touching walls
- Keep grass shorter than 10cm. Regularly remove leaf litter and twigs
- Don’t have large shrubs in front of windows or glass doors
- Before you leave, make sure you remove all flammable items from around your home. Houses have been lost from things as simple as embers landing on a doormat
- Check that your home and contents insurance is current and includes a level of cover in line with current building standards and regulations.