CSD and Syngenta Australia celebrate 10 years of FastStart™ Cotton – a collaboration on cotton tools and technologies
Two of the cotton industry’s leading innovators this season celebrate 10 years of collaboration on the tools and technologies that have transformed how this important crop is established in Australia.
“As growers in Central Queensland begin to plant, it’s timely that Syngenta and Cotton Seed Distributors reflect on the FastStart™ Cotton program and its achievements,” CSD Managing Director Peter Graham said.
“The FastStart Cotton program has delivered tools, training and technology that has saved the industry precious time and money from unnecessary crop failures inside the first 70 days from sowing.”
Since Syngenta and CSD signed the FastStart Cotton agreement, growers have benefited from 10 key achievements.
The ten FastStart milestones:
• More than 50 innovative research projects completed, focused on challenges faced in the first 70 days after sowing.
• Successful delivery of BION, the breakthrough Seedcare™ treatment, helping manage Black root rot and Fusarium wilt.
• The rollout of more targeted, user friendly insect pest solutions utilising CRUISER® technology, reducing reliance on in-furrow insecticides.
• Traffic light planting signals; An online tool supporting growers and advisors to plant crops at the optimum time.
• Soil Temperature Network featuring more than 30 data collection sites across key planting zones that help growers and contractors plant with confidence and avoid unnecessary seedling mortality.
• Delivery of a new website for easier access to tools and research, related to crop establishment.
• Collation of the FastStart Establishment Guide, which outlines best-practice standards for advisors and growers to follow for enhanced plant stand.
• The establishment of an Accreditation Course primarily for advisors, setting a new benchmark in the advice provided to growers.
• Release of VIBRANCE® CST, a new generation Seedcare technology for broad control of devastating seedling diseases, with a 27% increase in plant stands over untreated crops and a 4% increase over its predecessor DYNASTY®.
• Recognition of grower excellence through the FastStart Cotton Establishment Awards. Past winners have participated in a study tour of cotton production in Kununurra, Wester Australia.
Syngenta Australia Country Head and Managing Director Paul Luxton said the collaboration between Syngenta and CSD has led to great outcomes for growers and the industry, highlighting the importance of this partnership.
“Sustainable and science-based agriculture is at the heart of everything we do at Syngenta, and the partnership with CSD has succeeded in delivering a number of initiatives that has improved sustainable cotton growth in Australia. Benefits of a vigorous start to the cotton crop growth cycle has shown to provide a greater net return per hectare and megalitre of water as well as improved fibre quality,” he said.
“We’re inspired by nature, the power of seeds and helping growers produce quality crops through efficient use of resources. With FastStart, we’ve been able to fulfil these goals, solving challenges for growers along the way.”