The Joint Anti-Child Exploitation Team (JACET) has arrested a 45-year-old man on multiple counts of child abuse, drugs and firearms charges.
On 2 December 2021, Northern Territory Police and Australian Federal Police executed a section 3E Crimes Act 1914 (Cth) Search Warrant at a residence in Bees Creek.
The alleged offender was located in possession of computers and mobile telephones containing child abuse material, as well as prohibited weapons, dangerous drugs, and unsecured firearms and ammunition.
He was arrested and later charged with the following 24 counts:
- 6 x s474.22A CC 1995 (Cth) – Possess or control child abuse material
- 2 x s474.26 CC 1995 (Cth) – Procure persons u/ 16 for sexual activity
- s474.22 CC 1995 (Cth) – Transmit child abuse material
- 4 x s6 WA 2001 (NT) – Possess prohibited weapon
- 2 x s46 FA 1997 (NT) – Fail to meet storage requirement
- s69 FA 1997 (NT) – Possess ammunition without a licence
- 3 x s58 FA 1997 (NT) – Possess firearm without a licence
- s7D MDA 1990 (NT) – Possess schedule 1 less than trafficable
- s7D MDA 1990 (NT) – Possess schedule 2 less than trafficable
- s12(1) MDA 1990 (NT) – Possess thing to administer dangerous drug
- s12(4) MDA 1990 (NT) – Fail to take care with syringe
- s37B Bail Act 1982 (NT) – Breach of bail
He was remanded in custody to appear in Darwin Local Court on 15 December 2021.
NT Police Detective Acting Senior Sergeant Vanessa Barton said, “The JACET team will continue to work across jurisdiction to keep our children safe and apprehend perpetrators of child sex offences.”
AFP Detective Sergeant Richard Matejic said, “Possessing this material is not a victimless crime – every one of these images is an offence against a real child victim.”