Second man charged after Williamstown aggravated burglary and police car ramming

Detectives from the Armed Crime Squad have charged a second man overnight following an alleged aggravated burglary and ramming of a police vehicle in Williamstown earlier this month.

With assistance from the Special Operations Group, a 20-year-old Altona man was arrested at Werribee train station about 4.15pm yesterday afternoon (Wednesday, 17 April).

A second man present, a 32-year-old Altona man, was also arrested in relation to separate offending.

He was charged with possess cannabis and bailed to appear at Werribee Magistrates’ Court on 10 September.

The 20-year-old Altona man was charged with a range of offences, including:

• Two counts of home invasion (firearm)

• Two counts of armed robbery

• Reckless conduct endangering life

• Three counts of common law assault

• Six counts of theft of motor vehicle

• Two counts of prohibited person possess firearm

• Prohibited person use firearm

• Use firearm in dangerous manner

• Carry loaded firearm in town or populous place

• Possess loaded firearm in public place

• Possess cartridge ammunition

• Five counts of handle stolen goods

• Theft from motor vehicle

• Three counts of drive whilst disqualified

He will appear at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court this morning.

Investigators seized three vehicles, all believed to have been stolen, including a grey Holden Statesman sedan, a white Toyota sedan and a silver Nissan Pulsar, as well as assorted ammunition (12 gauge, 410 gauge and .22 calibre), suspected stolen goods, assorted registration plates, as well as 19 cartridges of .22 calibre ammunition and a single round of ammunition wedged in a small copper tube.

A 23-year-old Corio man was charged on 5 April with home invasion, two counts of armed robbery, reckless conduct endangering life, three counts of common law assault, three counts of theft of motor vehicle and dangerous driving whilst pursued by police.

He has been remanded to appear before the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on 1 July.

The charges follow an incident where two armed men gained access to an industrial property on Byron Street just after 5.45am on Friday, 5 April.

It is alleged a firearm was discharged before two vehicles were stolen from the address.

One of the stolen vehicles was travelling along Kororoit Creek Road when it rammed a police vehicle shortly after.

The police car sustained minor damage, but the members were not physically injured.

With assistance from the Air Wing the vehicle was followed to Highton, where the 23-year-old male driver was arrested attempting to run from the car on foot.

Three males inside the property at the time of the incident, a 25-year-old, a 23-year-old and a 6-year-old, were not physically injured the incident.

Police believe the incident was targeted.

Anyone with information on illicit firearm activity is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report online at

/Public Release. View in full here.