Fire restrictions announced for District 2

Member News imageFire restrictions announced for District 2

The Fire Danger Period (FDP) will begin for municipalities in CFA’s District 2 in the coming weeks.

01.00am on Monday, 13 November

  • Central Goldfields Shire Council
  • Mt Alexander Shire Council

01.00am on Monday, 20 November

  • City of Greater Bendigo

01.00am on Monday, 27 November

  • City of Macedon Ranges Shire Council

The El Nino weather pattern means Victorians can expect a hotter and drier summer than recent years, and communities should begin preparing their properties and creating a Bushfire Survival Plan.

CFA District 2 acting Assistant Chief Fire Officer Darren Eenjes said the conditions across the district has seen the landscape drying rapidly as summer approaches.

“In regional Victoria CFA has seen a definite spike in activity and is responding to more grass fires that are becoming more difficult to contain,” he said.

While CFA’s 52,000 members are poised to respond and support communities this bushfire season, they’re urging people to use common sense and take responsibility for preventing fires.

Residents in District 2 are asked to take this opportunity ahead of the FDP to clean up their properties and for landowners to conduct safe private burn-offs where possible.

Those conducting burn-offs must notify authorities online at the Fire Permits Victoria website (, or by calling ESTA on 1800 668 511.

By registering your burn-off online, you allow emergency call takers to allocate more of their time taking calls from people who need emergency assistance immediately.

No burning off is permitted during the FDP without a Permit to Burn, which can be applied for through the Fire Permits Victoria website.

There are very strict conditions attached to these permits and the liability sits with the permit holder to ensure they always act safely.

Fire Danger Period information:

  • A written permit is required to burn off grass, undergrowth, weeds or other vegetation during the FDP. You can apply for a permit at It can also be issued by the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer or the CFA District Office.
  • Lighting fires in the open without a permit can bring a penalty of more than $21,800 and/or 12 months imprisonment. For a full list of conditions, visit
  • Farmers can find legal guidelines and practical advice at

/CFA News Release. View in full here.