A man has been extradited from the ACT, charged with 12 offences after a Southern Highlands crash in 2019.
About midday on Monday 7 October 2019, emergency services were called to the Hume Highway at Marulan, responding to reports of a two-vehicle crash.
They found a Hyundai i30 was driving south, with three people on board, when police allege it was hit from behind by a Toyota Corolla. Both vehicles then crashed into trees on the median strip.
A woman travelling in the front-passenger seat of the Corolla – then aged 27 – suffered multiple fractures and was airlifted to Canberra Hospital. The male driver, then aged 38, was taken to Goulburn Base Hospital for mandatory testing.
The driver of the Hyundai, a man then aged 24, suffered leg and foot injuries and was taken to Goulburn Base Hospital. His two passengers, then aged 23 and 24, escaped with minor injuries. All five were from the ACT.
Officers from the Crash Investigation Unit (CIU) attended the scene and took carriage of the investigation.
Following extensive inquiries, officers attached to ACT Policing arrested a man on Wednesday (12 January 2022), on behalf of the CIU.
The man – who is now aged 40 – was taken to the ACT’s City Watch House where an application for his extradition to NSW was granted by the ACT Magistrates Court.
The man was then taken to Queanbeyan Police Station where he was charged by virtue of the outstanding warrant with 12 offences,
- Dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm – drive manner dangerous (two counts)
- Dangerous driving occ GBH- drive under the influence (two counts)
- Cause bodily harm by misconduct, in charge of a motor vehicle (two counts)
- Negligent driving (occasioning grievous bodily harm)
- Negligent driving
- Drive behind other vehicle too closely to stop
- Drive motor vehicle while licence suspended
- Drive vehicle, illicit drug present in blood, and
- Fail to appear in accordance with bail.
The ACT man was been refused bail to appear in Queanbeyan Local Court yesterday (Thursday 13 January 2022), where he was formally refused bail to appear in Goulburn Local Court on Wednesday 19 January 2022.