Police are appealing for information as investigations continue into a child approach in the state’s north.
About 7.50am on Monday (9 September 2019), officers attached to New England Police District received reports two children had been approached by an unknown man in a white Falcon station wagon as they waited for a school bus at Gilgai.
Police were told the two young children ran to a neighbouring residence for assistance after the incident in which a man, believed to be in his 50s with dark hair and unshaven, acted in a suspicious manner before stopping beside the children.
It is believed the driver conducted a u-turn before driving back towards Gilgai.
The vehicle of interest is described as a white Falcon station wagon with grey scratches on the bonnet.
The incident has prompted police to encourage parents to discuss the ‘Safe People, Safe Places’ message with their children, including:
- Make sure your parents or another adult you know knows where you are at all times.
- Always walk straight home or to the place you are walking to. Walk near busier roads and streets, or use paths where there are lots of other people.
- Know where safe places are – a shop, service station, police station, library or school. If you are ever frightened, you should go to one of these places and ask them to call the police.
- Learn about safe adults you can look for and talk to if you need help – police officers, teachers at school, adults you know and trust.
- Don’t talk to people you don’t know and never get into a car with someone you don’t know. If a car stops on the side of the road and you don’t know the person inside, do not stop.
- If you are scared and can use a phone, call 000 and tell them you are scared.
“These two young children did exactly as we suggest, they sought the safety of adults nearby and asked them for help,” New England Police District Detective Inspector Ann Joy said.
Police urge anyone with information about this incident to contact Inverell Police Station: 6722 0599, Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence.