Company fined $150,000 for failing to adhere to electrical safety regulations

A significant sentence was handed down in the Cleveland Magistrates Court, following an incident where a worker was electrocuted due to a company’s failure to adhere to safety duties.

The defendant, a company specialising in air-conditioner installations, was found guilty of failing to comply with an electrical safety duty, exposing individuals to the risk of death or serious injury. This violation was connected to an incident at a veterinary clinic in Capalaba where the company was contracted to replace an air-conditioning unit.

In September 2020, a long-standing employee who had worked for the company for 15 years lost his life while installing an air-conditioner. The worker’s electrical licence had expired, and the job required installation work including relocating isolators on the air-conditioners.

The magistrate presiding over the sentencing, emphasised the defendant’s failure to manage electrical risks and the profound impact on the deceased worker’s family. The court acknowledged the steps undertaken by the defendant post-incident to improve safety procedures, including the engagement of a third-party consultant for a comprehensive safety review.

The defendant was fined $150,000, with additional costs of $1,500 and a filing fee of $101.40. No conviction was recorded.

This case highlights the critical importance of adhering to safety standards and regulations, particularly when working with electricity. It serves as a stark reminder of the potential consequences of neglecting safety procedures, not only for the individuals directly involved but also for their families and communities.

/Public Release. View in full here.