Looking to get rid of pesky pests? Make sure you ask to see a technician’s pesticide licence first

Home and business owners are being reminded by the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) to check for pesticide licenses before hiring a technician to spray your property.

EPA Director Hazardous Materials Chemicals and Radiation Asela Atapattu said the pesticide licensing system meant the EPA could keep rogue operators out of business.

“If you are getting your home or business sprayed for pests, cockroaches, spiders, or other insects, check the technician is licensed first, before you hire them,” Mr Atapattu said.

“By law, a person carrying out prescribed pesticide work must hold a licence issued by the NSW EPA. This means we can oversee the process, ensuring they’re using only registered pesticide chemicals and taking all measures to avoid harming other people, animals or damaging the environment.

“Consumers are completely within their rights to ask about a technician’s licence. If the contractor can’t or won’t produce one, our advice is to not give them the job.”

You can check whether a pest controller is licensed by searching the EPA’s public register. Visit the EPA’s website: https://apps.epa.nsw.gov.au/prrdlapp/plpr.aspx.

/Public Release.