Nine new cases of COVID-19 were diagnosed in the 24 hours to 8pm last night, and one previously reported case has been excluded following further testing. This brings the total number of cases in NSW to 3,937.
|Confirmed cases (including interstate residents in NSW health care facilities)||3,937|
|Deaths (in NSW from confirmed cases)||54|
|Total tests carried out||2,350,649|
There were 12,494 tests reported in the 24-hour reporting period, compared with 10,129 in the previous 24 hours.
Of the nine new cases to 8pm last night:
- Three are returned overseas travellers in hotel quarantine
- Five are linked to a known case or cluster
- One case from South Eastern Sydney has no source identified at this point.
Three of the locally acquired cases are linked to Concord Hospital, including two healthcare workers, and the visitor who was mentioned in yesterday’s release.
One new case is a student at Kincoppal Rose Bay School of the Sacred Heart and is linked to the CBD cluster. They are a boarder. All boarders and staff in the boarding area have been identified as close contacts. Boarding operations at the school have been suspended, and students are isolating at home with their families.
One new case is a household contact of a previously reported case linked to the CBD cluster. There is a total of 66 cases linked to this cluster.
The two healthcare workers reported today worked at Concord Emergency Department and contact tracing is underway. They reported having no symptoms while at work and wore personal protective equipment while caring for patients.
Seven people associated with Concord and Liverpool Hospitals have now tested positive for COVID-19, including six healthcare workers. Investigations into the source of these infections are ongoing.
Anyone who attended the following venues at these times is considered a casual contact and must monitor for symptoms and get tested immediately if they develop. After testing, you must remain in isolation until a negative test result is received:
- Charles St Kitchen, 78 Charles St Putney on 5 September between 10:45am – 11:30am
- Eastwood Ryde Netball Association, Meadowbank Park, Adelaide St West Ryde on 5 September between 12:15pm – 1:30pm. Some people who attended were close contacts and have been contacted directly to get tested and isolate for 14 days.
- Missing Spoon Café, 8 Railway Ave Wahroonga on 5 September between 4:45pm – 5:30pm.
- Croydon Park Pharmacy 172 Georges River Rd Croydon Park on 3 September between 1pm – 2pm.
Anyone who attended the following venue at these times are considered close contacts and are being directed to get tested and isolate for 14 days, and stay isolated for the entire period, even if a negative test result is received:
- Plus Fitness, 47 Beecroft Rd Epping on 5 September between 9am – 10:15am.
NSW Health is treating 79 COVID-19 cases, including seven in intensive care, three of whom are being ventilated. 84 percent being treated by NSW Health are in non-acute, out-of-hospital care.
COVID-19 continues to circulate in the community and we must all be vigilant. To help stop the spread of COVID-19:
- If you are unwell, get tested and isolate right away – don’t delay.
- Wash your hands regularly. Take hand sanitiser with you when you go out.
- Keep your distance. Leave 1.5 metres between yourself and others.
- Wear a mask on public transport, ride share, taxis, shopping, places of worship and other places where you can’t physically distance.
A full list of COVID-19 testing clinics is available or people can visit their GP.
Confirmed cases to date
|By likely source of infection||Count|
|Locally acquired – contact of a confirmed case and/or in a known cluster||1,364|
|Locally acquired – contact not identified||394|
Counts reported for a particular day may vary over time with ongoing enhanced surveillance activities.
Returned travellers in hotel quarantine to date
|Since 29 March 2020||Count|
|Symptomatic travellers tested||4,964|
|Since 30 June 2020||Count|
|Asymptomatic travellers screened at day 2||21,248|
|Since 15 May 2020||Count|
|Asymptomatic travellers screened at day 10||34,010|