Police in Melbourne’s south east want drivers to reset their attitudes towards road safety in an effort to reduce the number of lives being lost on our roads this year.
Operation Reset commences today and will run throughout the south east for the next four days.
Southern Metro Region Acting Commander Tony Silva said as part of Operation Reset police would be providing a highly visible presence from St Kilda all the way down to the Mornington Peninsula with a particular focus on known road trauma locations.
“We are incredibly saddened by how many lives have already been lost in Victoria’s south east this year, with 24 people not returning home to their families” A/Cmdr Silva said.
“This is a significant increase from this time last year, where 12 lives had been lost.
“Something needs to change to address the ever increasing amount of people losing their lives on our roads in the south east.
“We are seeing reckless speed, failure to give way and impaired driving as they key contributing factors to fatal collisions in the south east.
“Not arriving at your destination isn’t worth the five minutes in time you gain from speeding or not driving to the conditions.
“Police in the south east will have a visible presence on the highways, backstreets and off-road locations in the hope that motorists think twice about their behaviour.
“Every time a motorist sees police on the road it is a reminder to follow the road rules.”
Operation Reset will run from 12.01am Thursday 1 August to 11.59pm Sunday 4 August 2019.