Twenty emergency services personnel have been acknowledged for their commitment and dedication to protecting the people of NSW, as part of today’s 2022 Australia Day Honours awards.
The Australian Fire Service Medal was awarded to eight members of the NSW Rural Fire Service and three Fire and Rescue NSW firefighters.
The Emergency Services Medal was awarded to nine people from NSW State Emergency Service, NSW Volunteer Rescue Association, Surf Life Saving NSW and Marine Rescue NSW.
Minister for Emergency Services and Resilience Steph Cooke congratulated the recipients for inspiring the next generation of emergency service workers and for their exemplary service.
“Over the past year our emergency services personnel have again faced challenging times and have worked hard to protect communities right across our State during incredibly trying conditions,” Ms Cooke said.
“Today is a wonderful opportunity to recognise those who have gone above and beyond, often putting their lives on the line to save others. They have responded to floods, fires, drownings, the COVID-19 response and more recently, the threat of tsunami.
“On behalf of the people of NSW, I’d like to thank our emergency services personnel for their ongoing service, and reinforce the Government’s commitment to providing our frontline agencies with the resources they need to keep our communities safe.”
Australian Fire Service Medal:
• David Ian Bosworth, NSW Rural Fire Service
• Group Captain Donald (Stuart) Farleigh, NSW Rural Fire Service
• Jane Hollier, NSW Rural Fire Service
• Group Captain Jennifer Joy Lawther, NSW Rural Fire Service
• Captain Brian Edwin McKenzie, NSW Rural Fire Service
• Group Captain Jonathon Stuart McKenzie, NSW Rural Fire Service
• Group Captain Christopher Ronald Nolan, NSW Rural Fire Service
• Group Captain Christopher Helmut Petrikas, NSW Rural Fire Service
• Superintendent Peter Jacobs, Fire and Rescue NSW
• Senior Firefighter Tara Lal, Fire and Rescue NSW
• Captain David O’Donnell, Fire and Rescue NSW
Emergency Services Medal:
• Sonya Marks, NSW State Emergency Service
• Wayne Rizzi, NSW State Emergency Service
• Mark Spencer, NSW Volunteer Rescue Association
• John Keough, Surf Life Saving NSW
• Garry Meredith, Surf Life Saving NSW
• Anthony Rettke, Surf Life Saving NSW
• Richard Lissenden, Surf Life Saving NSW
• Stewart Bailey, Surf Life Saving NSW
• William Blakeman, Marine Rescue NSW