Ballarat City Council has tonight voted to authorise Mayor Cr Ben Taylor to write to the Victorian Ombudsman Deborah Glass outlining Council’s resolutions from 18 May, where Council terminated the CEO’s contract and resolved to begin recruitment of an interim CEO.
Recruitment agency Sal Corp was tonight also selected as the recruitment agency for the interim CEO.
Council sought expressions of interest from nine executive recruitment and search agencies.
The brief for Sal Corp includes:
- The interim CEO’s term would be for approximately six to nine months
- That Council seek an experienced CEO with an understanding of Local Government, including a detailed understanding of the Local Government Act 1989 and Local Government Act 2020
- That Council preferably seek a candidate that has previously been an interim CEO or provided similar locum services
As well as their delegated CEO authority, Council will expect the interim CEO to:
- Work with the organisation on items listed in the Victorian Ombudsman’s report including recruitment, purchase card and procurement policies and practices
- Ensure good governance
- Conduct an organisational ‘health check’
- Work with Council on the next CEO’s recruitment
Cr Taylor said Council had canvassed only highly reputable independent recruitment firms.
“We want to ensure the stability of Ballarat City Council moving forward so we want to search nationwide for the best interim CEO,” Cr Taylor said.