Two RAAF aircraft – a KC-30A and a C-17A Globemaster III – have joined a Government-supported private charter in safely airlifting 255 people from Ben Gurion Airport in Israel to Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
The deployment of RAAF aircraft as part of Operation Beech follows the start of Australian Government assisted-departure flights from Tel Aviv on October 13.
Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles said the safety of Australians impacted by this conflict was paramount for the Australian Government.
“The activation of two Defence aircraft provides critical options for Australia as the conflict in Israel continues to evolve,” he said.
“Australian nationals and visa holders who wish to leave Israel should ensure they are registered with DFAT [Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade] via their crisis portal.”
Foreign Affairs Minister Senator Penny Wong said more than 1200 Australians previously registered have now left Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories, including more than 400 Australians and their families on four Australian Government-assisted flights.
“We continue to consider options to assist Australians who want to leave Israel or the Occupied Palestinian Territories,” Senator Wong said.
“We encourage Australians who want to leave to take the first option available, do not wait for a different option.”
The Australian Government is planning additional flights from Tel Aviv to Dubai on October 16, for Australians wanting to leave. In addition, flights have been secured for onward travel to Australia for Australians arriving in Dubai.
The Government is considering whether further assisted-departure flights are required in the light of a challenging and rapidly changing situation.
Australians in the affected areas who want to leave or need assistance with departure should register via DFAT’s Crisis Portal or by calling the 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre on +61 2 6261 3305 (from overseas) or 1300 555 135 (from within Australia).
DFAT will continue to provide updates to registered Australians.